Social Innovation Generation seeks to engage partners across sectors to create a culture of continuous social innovation. To this end, we channel our resources in ways that will have the greatest impact. Acknowledging that social innovations are not fixed; that they evolve and present new challenges, means that we must be intentional and agile in our approach.
Visit our page on Social Innovation here.
Engaging the wider Canadian public is vital in developing and implementing solutions. SiG works on a number of initiatives to engage all stakeholders, from high-profile multi-sector events, to media development, to knowledge dissemination through social technology.
One key area of interest is the development of open source social innovation curriculum that can be applied at various stages of learning. The 2015 launch of the Banff Centre Social Innovation Residency is the next iteration of this exploration.
SiG has been deeply involved in the development of a new finance infrastructure in Canada that will strengthen innovative non-profits and bolster social purpose businesses. Development of a more robust social finance sector will be achieved through dialogue with the private and non-profit sector and through regulatory change at the government level. For latest developments and information, connect with the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing.
The SiG partnership has been actively involved in fostering social innovation through the following initiatives:
- The development of Lab models across Canada, creating an environment for experimentation across sectors for solutions seeking, including the MaRS Solutions Lab
- SiG Knowledge Hub
- BC Partners for Social Impact
- Corporate Social Innovation
- Waterloo-McConnell Graduate Diploma in Social Innovation
- MaRS Centre for Impact Investing
- Canadian Task Force on Social Finance
- National Family Care Giving Initiative
- National Mental Health Care Commission
- Ontario Provincial Poverty Reduction Strategy
- A Review of Environmental Sustainability Education in Canada
- Development of a Workshop Series to support organizations through Stages of Social Innovation
- Creation of the Registered Disability Savings Plan