Organization: MaRS Discovery District
# of Positions: 1
Position: Communications Intern
Posted: Dec 12, 2013
Application Deadline: Jan 03, 2014
Start Date: Feb 03, 2014
Term of Internship: 8 months
Address: 101 College Street, Suite 100,
Toronto, ON, M5G 1L7
Social Innovation Generation (SiG) is a collaborative partnership comprised of The J.W. McConnell Family Foundation, the University of Waterloo, the MaRS Centre in Toronto, and the PLAN Institute. SiG believes that complex, persistent, and “wicked” social and ecological problems can be solved. Our focus is enhancing Canada’s resilience by engaging the creativity and resources of all sectors to collaborate on social innovations that have impact, durability, and scale. Visit our website for more information.
SiG National is looking for an Intern to contribute to its team. To allow social innovations to flourish, the SiG intern will contribute to our goal to support whole systems change through changing the broader economic, cultural, and policy context in Canada.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Intern will have a broad portfolio of responsibilities, engaging across program related activities, with a strong focus on communications, educational materials development, promotional activities and social media. With a small team around you, this is a terrific opportunity for you to build a portfolio of communications assets as you begin your career.
At a time when “the need and desire for change is profound,” this is an exciting opportunity to work in a dynamic professional context to experiment with a different way of telling a story, learning new practices for tipping systems, and helping to create new possibilities for building resilience.
- Support the Communications Manager in the execution of a broad strategy to foster cross-sector understanding of social innovation processes;
- Inspire and inform our organization and emerging communities through editorial coordination of the blog;
- Support the development and marketing of our knowledge mobilization strategy;
- Drive engagement with SiG online platforms – website, Knowledge Hub, social media communities;
- Assist the Communications Manager in the marketing strategy, publication and dissemination of SiG knowledge products;
- Actively engage online networks in the development of social innovation understanding and applicability to Canada
- Provide logistical support to development activities related to the Inspiring Action for Social Impact series including meeting coordination and research support;
- Support lab development lead in research
- Pursue self-directed projects as inspired that result in outstanding written, visual, or audio content; and
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Demonstrated experience and/or ability in the development of communications products – audio and/or videoand/or written;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Understanding of online community development and animation;
- Interest in the fields of social innovation, public policy and finance;
- Proven research capabilities;
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated;
- An openness to evolving responsibilities;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently and in teams; and
- Proficiency at multitasking and prioritizing time and workload.
The following qualifications are considered an asset:
- Demonstrable understanding of website processes, basic HTML, WordPress and other content platforms
- Demonstrable understanding of design applications, particularly Adobe CS suite
Social Innovation Generation (National) is based at the MaRS Centre in downtown Toronto.
Employer Question #1:
Why does working for SiG appeal to you?
Employer Question #2:
What experiences in your past qualify you for this opportunity?
Employer Question #3:
What examples of social innovation in Canada or around the world inspire you?
To apply, please register on Career Edge and submit your application through Career Edge’s job posting “Social Innovation Generation(SiG)/ Communications Intern.”